Gary, Frances, and list:

I think I was sloppy in my statement, Gary, which was not intended as a general attack on Frances's views but was a comment on what she is saying in a particular message.  I regret not making that clear.  I could be mistaken about what was happening that I was objecting to,  too, but I need to reread the message carefully and then if I still find it off the mark to state exactly what I was objecting to, which I didn't do.  In the meanwhile, I agree with your admiration for her courage in putting up with a lot of harsh criticism earlier on, in particular.  Ben's view is another matter altogether, and I said nothing about that.   I do think it is a mistake for her to indulge the tendency to introduce neologisms of her own, though, when one of the main problems in interpreting Peirce has to do with problems of terminology.  Each new coinage just adds one more difficulty to understanding what he is saying.

Joe Ransdell
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:45 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: Design and Semiotics Revisited (...new thread from "Peircean elements" topic)

Frances, Joe, Ben, List,

While I have for some years now thought that Frances' neologisms create an impediment to her analyses being given a sympathetic hearing, and have at moments even deplored her seemingly revisionist approach to Peirce on this list and at least one other (the Esthetics forum of which I was briefly a member), I do not at this point think "that something is going very wrong" in her understanding of Peirce.

While I will certainly reflect on Joe's analysis/critique of the 'sign' 'representatmen' distinction as she employs it, at the moment I do not think that whatever may be decided in that matter--certainly an issue hardly 'settled' in Peircean scholarship or in Peirce's own thinking as even Joe seemed to imply in his post--that it fundamentally undermines Frances' acute analysis. Indeed, at the moment, I find her argument rather persuasive (strengthened, perhaps, by a sense in which she accepts her fallibility and incomplete understanding of these difficult issues). Her courage (Ben's too) in the face of so much criticism & neglect over the years is to me inspiring, sometimes humbling. Perhaps it goes without saying that for these reasons--and others--that I have a great deal of respect for both Ben and Frances. I have also learned a great deal from them.

More to the present point as I see it, Frances is one of the very few on this list who has even begun to make a good faith attempt at grappling with Ben's 'recognizant' and 4th semeiotic category (including the whole matter of its relation to collateral observation, the status of the object, etc.). I applaud her for this and look forward to Ben's response to her analysis. It seems to me likely that I would want to take up Ben's recognizant, proxy, need for a fourth category (something certainly  considerably more radical even  than Frances' tendency towards neologism, revisionism,  etc.), etc., once again in the light of Ben's (likely?) response to Frances and hope that others on the list might join this discussion. What's at stake is--as I see it--is nothing less than the acceptance or undermining of a conception of Three Universes of experience, three Universal, Existential, and Logical-semeiotic categories, etc.

But very few here or, for that matter, anywhere have really struggled with Ben's revolutionary semiotic notions. For example, Joe has seemingly thrown up his hands at understanding them at all, suggesting in one recent post that he'd have to leave such analysis to such as me to struggle with (viz., someone who could grasp anything at all of Ben's radical tetradic abduction, and this despite my expressed antipathy to it, which most any reader of this list--and certainly Ben--has observed). One would of course yet very much like to see Joe reflect on Ben's 4's at some point (certainly Ben and I have both been responsive to much of Joe's extraordinary philosophical analysis over the years and my own sense of Peirce's semeiotic has been deeply informed by reading Joseph Ransdell on the topic).

But for now, I would simply like to say that Frances has contributed in "good faith"  something of value in this dialogue with Ben.

Gary

Joseph Ransdell wrote:
It seems to me that something is going very wrong in your understanding of
Peirce, Frances, apparently stemming from a misunderstanding of the "sign"
and "representamen" distinction.  The word "representamen" seems to be
introduced as the name for the refined conception of a sign that enables him
to understand interpretational processes more broadly than "sign" would
permit, as ordinarily understood, though there is some place of later date
where he says that he doesn't think he needs to have recourse to it, after
all, presumably meaning that he thinks the word "sign" can be used more
broadly than he thought it could earlier.  But wherever human interpretation
is involved he uses the two terms indifferently.
"A sign is a representamen of which some interpretant is a cognition of a
mind."  CP 2.242 1903

". .. I make the best analysis I can of what is essential to a sign, and I
define a representamen as being whatever that analysis applies to.... in
particular, all signs convey notions to human minds; but I know no reason
why every representamen should do so."    CP 1.541 1903

He never speaks of "signers", as far as I know.  What use is there for that
word ?   And you use some other  non-Peircean terms as well:.  "semiosics",
"synechastics", "physiotics", consequently you seem at times to be
explaining the obscure by tee even more obscure.  What's the good of that?

Joe Ransdell

Joe Ransdell