Gary F, Jim, list,

Thank you for having plowed through my posts!  I'm gratified to read that they
make sense to you. I don't actually mind being tuckered out by my own posts,
but I know that people have more things to do than read my posts.

Gary wrote,
> This seems tantalizingly close to a concept that i've vaguely  recognized,
> and been trying to specify with more precision, for a couple  of decades now.
> I call it "meaning space" and think of it as the  structure of an organism's
> Innenwelt (J. von Uexkull's term), or its  model of the world -- so it's more
> of a "universe" than what you're  talking about here, but structurally
> similar. I picture it as a  multidimensional network of mutually defining
> nodes. One chapter of my  work in progress is devoted to it, and i despair of
> explaining it more  concisely than that ... but what they call the "net of
> Indra" in Hua-yen  (Buddhist) philosophy seems pretty close to it, and closer
> still is the  "Model Q" developed by M. Ross Quillian and described by
> Umberto Eco in  _A Theory of Semiotics_ (2.12). Does this sound at all
> familiar to you,  or connected with what you're saying above?

I haven't read Eco or Quillian, and what little I've been able to garner today
from the 'Net about Model Q is vague to me. I think I'm going to get the Eco
novel which makes use of it. It sounds like a heck of a good novel.

Indra's net seems a concept simple enough on the surface. External reflected in
internal, each is the other inside out. I tend to seek structures of four
elements, in which two oppositions, often two _kinds_ of "mutual inverseness,"
stand out and are interrelated.  I do associate structure especially with
living intelligence.

A "meaning space" -- it depends on what one means by "meaning." Do you mean a
value, an importance, the evoking of a difference made? Or by "meaning" do you
mean a kind of evidencing, a confirming/corroborating/disconfirming, etc., as
to facts?

Best, Ben