On Sep 27, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Joseph Ransdell wrote:

This word is used in logic in two senses: (1) as a synonym for Cognition, and (2), and more usefully, to signify a perfect cognition, that is, a cognition fulfilling three conditions: first, that it holds for true a proposition that really is true; second, that it is perfectly self-satisfied and free from the uneasiness of doubt; third, that some character of this satisfaction is such that it would be logically impossible that this character should ever belong to satisfaction in a proposition not true.

Thanks for that quote Joe.  I'd not seen that one before.  It's interesting to compare his (2) with the traditional sense of justified true belief.  All three elements are there but the emphasis on perfect Cognition makes me wonder whether he's really adopting the traditional sense at all or something more akin to a mental state ala Williamson's recent influential book.  (Well, influential in a peculiar sense since no one I've met actually buys Williamson's arguments)

Clark Goble