Dear Folks,

Part of what I'm trying to say is that its not as though the scientific method were an entirely independent alternative to the other three methods.  On the contrary the scientific method is built upon and incorporates the other three methods.  The lst three are not discredited methods they are the building blocks of the scienfic method.  What gives sciences its power is that in combining the three methods (plus the emphasis upon observation -- which can or can not be part of the method of tenacity) it gives a more reliable basis for belief than any of the other three methods alone.

But as for one and two  -- yes I'd say they are the basis of the whole structure.  Tenacity and authority can both include reason and observation.  So if we include reason and observation in the lst two then we have all the elements of the scientific method.