At 6:05 PM 12/8/95, John L Gulick wrote:

>As for "p.c." and "Keynesianism," I would argue that in U.S. left-liberal
>circles it is far more "p.c." to argue on behalf of nation-state based
>Keynesianism than it is to argue on behalf of transnational, collaborative
>alliances between trade unionists, the urban poor, immiserated peasants,
>casual laborers, et. al. -- that is, confronting capital on the scale that
>it itself is organized (understanding of course the principle that "the
>enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend," and that simply
>personifying systemic evil as "global corporations" will
>get us nowhere).

I think the chic-est PC thing now is decentralization, breaking up the
nation state, localism, bioregionalism, etc. David Korten's book When
Corporations Rue the World, the volume that defines the state of PC
economic thought in certain anti-development circles, argues for more
household-to-household exchange! Northwest enviros are talking about the
virtues of feudalism over capitalism - at least the rulers pledged
something in return to their serfs. The hell with all this I say; I'm for
Gulick's transnationalism.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood