O.K. This seems right. My question: Does the novelty (or
at leas relative novelty) of the reaction reflect someone's
deliberate estimation of the threat, or merely a more-or-
less run of the mill police over-reaction? . . .

[mbs] It's an over-reaction if you are interested
in upholding the law, including everyone's basic
rights.  It's not if you have no scruples about
doing whatever you can get away with to disrupt
legal and/or non-violent dissent.

And if the former,
what precisely is the threat that someone feels? I use
the vague someone because I don't have the remotest
idea how high up the decision was.

[mbs] I would guess the DC fuzz doesn't want to look
hapless and out of control like the Seattle cops.
As it happens, the local news is showing cops
making gratuitous and random assaults on
kids 1/3rd their size right now in front
of the WB.

In any case, a lot of people will be returning home with
a rather intensified awareness of how swift and severe
reactions by the state can be.  Carrol

Yup.  No question about it.  This is how
revolutionaries are made. Or at least one way.

mbs