We are taught that competition is good.  Yet, we can think of a
depression as a symptom of heightened competition.

Within this framework, what happens during a depression is what happens
with greater competition.  Business gets busy laying off workers,
installing new technology [yes, the depression was a period of rapid
technical change], and finding ways to rebuild their profits.

In terms of income shares, profits fall more than wages -- as we would
expect with more competition.  But the fall in workers' standard of
living is a greater threat to their being [notwithstanding our imagery
of flying bankers following the stock market crash].

The government tries to avoid excess competiition [depressions] via
government spending (i.e. military expenditures) and a lenient policy
toward anti-competitive measures.  Business will tend to organize and
consolidate until they can enjoy a new period of lax competition.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321