The Japanese have an expression "kato kyoso" meaning excessive competition
which they vehemently oppose.  Various state-capital arrangements and
cartel-like behavior reduce competition.  Prices are high no doubt but
mass lay offs rare as well.

Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor
Comparative International Development