Phew, some letter!  Well, I am certainly glad that aiusa did not oppose the
unionization of its staff.  It would, however, be interesting to find out
some of the history of the debate just for general discussion.  Obviously
there was some sort of 'felt need' because a large number of staff signed
cards to have an election.  Something happened -- some sort of : discussion,
debate, and then there is a majority request to not hold a union election.
 In my experience, these things do not happen in a vacuum.  People don't just
wake up, have coffee, and say; "Gee whiz, I think I'll unionize today.  The
sun is shining."

Whatever, I seriously doubt that the reputation if aiusa is damaged, and, I
do not think it's a bad thing for non-profits to have to explain themselves
on occasion, though, this does seem to have been a painful process.

All that aside, I think this discussion on the responsibility of non-profits
to their employees has been an interesting and productive one.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]