At 11:11 AM 11/7/96, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Clinton: $112 million spent on campaigning/45.6 million votes = $2.46/vote.
>Dole: $116 million/37.8 million votes = $3.06/vote.
>Perot: $37 million/7.8 million votes = $4.70/vote.
>(I don't know if the dollar figures include soft money or not)

Probably not. The Center for Responsive Politics estimates that the whole
presidential campaign cost $800 million, which leaves the LAT accounting
above about $535m short. CRP also estimates that the Congressional
campaigns cost another $800m - making this a $1.6 billion election,
something like twice as expensive as 1992's.

Another perspective, though. Jeff Winter, a poli sci professor at
Northwestern who specializes in Indonesia, told me that they're scratching
heads down in Jakarta about the Lippo scandal. Specifically, they can't
believe access to a president can be bought for a mere $425,000. Winter
says that you couldn't even say hello to the multibillionaire Suharto for
such chump change.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood