Tom Walker says: >>Seriously, though, how about those mutual
funds? A couple of weeks ago, we had a drywall installer in to
fix a hole in the ceiling. He talked enthusiastically about his
contractor pals who were making so much money in the stock market
they had given up doing construction work. Then just the other
day, I was in a toy store and overheard two clerks talking about
how you could borrow money from the bank, buy mutual funds and
make enough money to live on the interest and still increase your
principal. <<

This is serious stuff: there's an underground Wall Street theory
that says that when the "widows and orphans" (WS jargon for
amateurs, outsiders) get into the stock market (with or without
mutual funds as mediators), it's time for a crash.

I don't know if there is any empirical evidence for or against
that theory. Doug?

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.