In a message dated 97-11-04 00:21:15 EST,[ several people have self
righteously said more or less the following]:
>I understand that most of the gap in the number of girls as opposed to
>boys in China is due to *under-reporting* of girls rather than female
>infanticide. If the first born is a girl, if she is not reported a second
>child may be the desired boy. China's one child rule is a reactionary
>measure, but one-sided reports are no better.

1.  The Chinese government now admits that infanticide of girls is a problem
and an unwanted side effect of the one child policy (this was in the last
paragraph of the article and has been admitted officially by the Chinese for
the last year or so).

2.  This information came from census data collected and released by the
Chinese government.

3.  I fail to see why 'not admitting' that you've had a girl is any better
than infanticide in the long run.  Think about it for a minute, if you don't
admit you have the child, she can't get medical care, can't go to school,
can't be included in child benefits of any kind.  But then perhaps the
proponents of not admitting there are girls feel this is o.k., after all, do
you also think uneducated baby makers in the kitchen are the best women?????
(sarcasm absolutely intended)

4.  The 'non-reporting' does not hold water, especially since the ratio of
boys as a majority over girls widens with age AND, there's just all those
pesky little corpses.

5.  If the ratios were the other way around, I'd bet you guys would be out
there screaming your heads off.  What a few girls amongst all you self
righteous revolutionaries, eh?

This is what I love about this list, paraphrasing Lenin, 'scratch a
revolutionary, and you'll find a man antagonistic to women'.  In fact, if I
have time sometime soon, I think I find the exact quote and engrave it on my
ass -- just to remind myself that I'm a fucking idiot to stay subscribed to
this list anyhow.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]