> From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Walker)

> >From ACCOUNTANTS AND THE PRICE SYSTEM:THE PROBLEM OF SOCIAL COSTS
> .  .  .

Sounds like the overhead costs of labor can be
translated as public goods in the neo-classical
sense of the term.

Don't get me wrong.  I love public goods.  At the
slightest encouragement, I will launch into a
disquisition on how to finance them.  The
immediate relevance is that business firms could
be handed 'user fees' or Pigouvian taxes (e.g.,
taxes that 'correct' externalities, like
pollution) and these would show up as costs in
any accounting framework.  So would general taxes
on capital which financed goods whose cost could
not be mechanically traced to individual firms
(e.g., public education).

Motivating such taxes and expenditures would
depend in part on the social accounting to which
I alluded in my previous post.

Does that wrap it up nicely?

MBS

Max B. Sawicky           Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Suite 1200
202-775-8810 (voice)     1660 L Street, NW
202-775-0819 (fax)       Washington, DC  20036

Opinions here do not necessarily represent the
views of anyone associated with the Economic
Policy Institute.