As at 23 March, it was, I think, importantly true that the KLA was not
Albanian Kosovo and the Kosovar Serb militias were not mainstream Serbia.  I
dunno if anyone saw that Drenica Valley doco, but all the killing of
Albanians in that seemed locals upon locals (with hierarchy sanction, no
doubt, but mostly without the knowledge of the mainstream, who were fondly
imagining a little counter-insurgency at worst).

One thing that's been occurring to me about the gutless bombing from 15 000
feet (not that I'd be bombing from any lower meself - but then, I wouldn't
be bombing), is that NATO is taking a self-legitimating role very much like
the 'entrepreneur' of today.  'I take the risks; I take the profits,'
proclaims today's capitalist - albeit through the mouths of Economics 101
lecturers everywhere - and so says NATO.  But to bomb as they do is to
transfer that risk to innocents (Albanian Kosovars demonstrably included)
just as the capitalist transfers the risk to his workers (it is they who are
sacked if the risk doesn't pay off).

If they bombed at tree-top level, they'd not be slaughtering (a doubt of
which I'm prepared to grant the benefit) columns and dormitories of
refugees.  To bomb as they do effectively passes 99% of the risk on to those
in whose name they do this.

Proof positive of bad faith, for mine (NATO bombers and Economics lecturers
both) ...

Waddya reckon?
Rob.

>I don't read this as denying the agency of the Serbs in ethnic cleansing.
>Consider the following.
>A known pedophile is taken to a picnic by Clinton and left alone with a
number
>of children. The pedophile assaults several children. Surely, there is a
sense
>in which Clinton caused the assaults. The tendencies
>of the pedophile will not result in the attacks unless the opportunity for
>doing so is present. Hence
>given the circumstances Clinton leaving the pedophile alone with the
children
>is a sufficient condition (or cause) for the assaults. This is quite
consistent
>with the pedophile being the agent, and does not deny that agency.
>    In the same way, Paul first notes that before the bombing there was no
>ethnic cleansing etc. The bombing provided the conditions for the cleansing
>since it gave Milosevic the freedom to cleanse, and also to decimate the
KLA at
>the same time. The bombing was a sufficient condition or cause of ethnic
>cleansing
>etc. This is not inconsistent with and does not deny that the Serbs are the
>agents.
>
>    Cheers, Ken Hanly
>
>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>> >Barkley,
>> >  I have some difficulty with your whole discussion and comparison of
>> >the situation in Turkey and Kosovo.  The reason is fairly
>> >straightforward.
>> >
>> >First, there was no genocide, ethnic cleansing, forced removal,
>> >denial of language rights, etc. etc. in Kosovo prior to the bombing.
>> >... [O]n a proportional basis, the Albanians were forcing out the
>> >Serbs, not the opposite.  (i.e. NATO should have been bombing Tirana,
>> >not Beograd.)...
>> >
>> >It is we, members of NATO, that have caused the ethnic cleansing by
>> >our bombing
>> >
>> >Paul Phillips
>>
>> Why this strange and pathetic attempt to deny the agency of those who are
>> undertaking the ethnic cleansing? And why this attempt to make every
Muslim