Nathan, The difference between Kosovo and the other cases is that the aggressor is a
client state.  We have
no need to call for military intervention.  All the U.S. needs to do is to call off
its dogs and they will
comply.

Several of us have mentioned that we think that the introduction of foreign troops
will not help.

In the case of Kuwait, if April Glespie had told Saddam not to invade, I suspect that
it might not have
happened, especially if the U.S. would have agreed to support some of Saddam's
grievances concerning oil.

In the case of Kosovo, intervention was a total and ongoing disaster.  The U.S. and
the EU countries had put
pressure on Yugoslavia, weakening the state and supporting seperatist movements.

We have had all of this discussion before.  What can be gained from repeating it?

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department