so if you refuse to say the pledge (as I did when I was in 4th grade) are you
breaking the law and liable to be arrested?

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 12:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:7659] Re: Re: blowing off steam

     Actually the Virginia legislature, now fully dominated
by the Repugs who are seriously beholden to the
Christian Right are going off the deep end.  The latest?
They have just passed a 24-hour waiting period on
abortions and also a law requiring students in high
schools to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance
every morning.  They can only get out with a note from
a clergyperson testifying to their religious or philosophical
objections.
      The governor, recently appointed as National
Chair of the Repugs, will sign both of these eagerly.
Barkley Rosser