there's a critique in the book review by Chase in the current issue of
CHALLENGE. Chase also reviews Perelman's book.

as I understand de Soto, he's arguing that if we give property rights (in
their currently-occupied land) to all the third world squatters, it will
unleash capitalism. I say "go for it and see what happens." But it won't be
very popular with the current owners of that land. That means either a
civil war or big subsidies for the land-owners (which few governments in
poor countries can afford).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine