The role of China's labor ministry officials in this story is especially
noteworthy.  Steve

<http://www.kavlaoved.org.il/en_news110501.asp>

[Translated from Ma'ariv, 11.5.01 by Moshe' Machover]

The Great Wall of Cynicism

by Sari Makover

A group of 170 construction workers from China are being threatened with
deportation from Israel and being put on trial for daring to strike and
protest against their appalling conditions of employment.

In his small carpentry workshop in the village of Nantu Tse near Shanghai,
Lin Huaice first heard that in Israel there were more grains of gold than
grains of rice. Although the Chinese carpenter was regarded as member of
the lower class, he was not poor. But some people from Nantu Tse who had
worked in Israel came back home richer than the Emperor. They built houses
for themselves, bought cars and sent their children to university. The
whole village envied them. So did Lin Huaice.

In the offices of Nantong Er Jian-Ji Tuan, a construction company that
serves as intermediary between Israeli building contractors and Chinese
workers, Lin Huaice, 37, was received with open arms. His particulars were
taken down, he was promised "comfortable conditions, excellent food, work
that is not too hard, and at least $350 per month." He was asked for a
deposit of $2,500 as surety.

$2,500 is a fortune by the standards of a Chinese village; but this was the
price of Lin Huaice's lucky ticket to Israel. He borrowed most of the money
from a private moneylender in a nearby town and got the rest from his
friends in the village. He took $30 from his aged parents, money that had
been saved for a modest funeral and gravestone; but Lin Huaice, excited and
happy, promised to erect a golden gravestone for his parents, when the time
came.

Cock-a-doodle-doo neck

In January 2000, Lin Huaice arrived in Israel. Dressed in his only good
suit, equipped with a passport, a long-term visa and $10, he was sent
together with 169 other Chinese workers to the Toyota building site in the
center of Tel Aviv, near the acoustic fence of the Ayalon Bridge. The A.
Dori Ltd. Contractors were his employers in construction work and the
go-between Chinese company was responsible for his living conditions.

In a very short time he was turned from a foreign worker into an unskilled
laborer. He says that he and his fellow workers were required to work for
at least 11 hours a day, sometimes more. They were not allowed to take
breaks at their discretion, not even toilet breaks. During the little free
time they had, they slept or played cards. They were allowed out three
times a week, for two hours only. They were lodged in small run-down
quarters, something like caravans or containers, whose thin walls could not
block out the incessant din coming from the Ayalon Highway.

But this was only the beginning. According to Lin Huaice and his comrades,
for a year and three months they worked for next to nothing.. Every month
they received between 50 and 100 shekels [1 shekel = $0.24 = £0.17
approximately], which was barely enough for a phone-call to their families
in China. It was certainly insufficient for supplementing the meager meals
of cooked vegetables provided by the Chinese company.

And since even workers of a particularly parsimonious Chinese company have
to eat meat from time to time, the kitchen staff sent the foreign workers
to the market to buy chicken feet and other leftovers. Sometimes the cooks
asked the workers to gather leftover fruit and vegetables from the nearby
market. Lin Huaice points his ten skinny fingers at his neck and says in a
small voice, "cock-a-doodle-doo." This is how I understood, even before the
interpreter arrived, that from time to time the workers' meal included
chicken necks.

By Wednesday, March 28 of this year, after 15 months in Israel, Lin Huaice
no longer believed that he would ever see his wages. In consultation with
his fellow workers, it was decided to down tools. Then 170 tired and
indignant Chinese workers went to the office of the Workers' Hotline in Tel
Aviv and asked for help in obtaining humanitarian and legal aid as well as
payment of their wages in full. "Perhaps this is how Chinese workers are
customarily treated in your country," he says angrily, "but this is
certainly no way to treat human beings."

For five days the Chinese government tried, through their embassy, to
dissuade the workers from their decision to strike. The damage caused to
the image of the Chinese government's construction company was enormous.
The A. Dori contracting company also tried to put an end to the strike by
threatening the workers with deportation. A copy of the letter was sent to
the offices of the Workers' Hotline but Uri Dori, the Director General of
the company, until recently president of the Association of Contractors and
Builders in Israel, denies the existence of the letter and claims that
forgery was involved.

The Chinese workers' strike attracted public attention, and only then it
occurred to the Ministry of Labor and Welfare, which is responsible for
enforcing employment conditions and minimum wages, to dispatch a
representative to the building site. As is usual in such cases, the
inspectors were astonished that they had known nothing about the affair
before it had blown up.

Four in a container-like room

The method of employing foreign workers in Israel provides many legal
loopholes. In most cases the workers are employed indirectly, via foreign
intermediaries, foremen and representatives of contracting companies, who
pass the buck to one another, each disclaiming responsibility for the
workers. This is also how things were done in the present affair. The A.
Dori Co., which is a member of the Association of Contractors and Builders,
received permission from the Ministry of the Interior to import workers
from China. It contacted a Chinese construction company that employs cheap
labor, and concluded a wage agreement with it. The Chinese company was to
be responsible for [the workers'] living arrangements.

The Chinese workers claim that the Chinese company did whatever it liked
with their wages and living arrangements. The Israeli entrepreneur, A.
Dori, did not wake up to the problem, at least not in time.

The fact that foreign workers in Israel are employed in sub-standard
conditions is well known, but the Chinese workers have posed a new
challenge to the system: they decided to protest. They came to the offices
of the Workers' Hotline dressed in jackets which covered their work shirts
and tattered trousers. Only their torn shoes betrayed their miserable
situation. "We realized at once that these were a better class of people
than usual," says Hanna Zohar, the director of Workers' Hotline. "They were
clean, gentle and very courteous. They drank only water, hardly smoked,
waited patiently and spoke politely. They do not understand a word of
Hebrew, but kept saying 'todah' and 'shalom' [Hebrew for 'thank you' and
'hello'/'good day']."

Fu She, 35, married and father of a seven-year old son, collected from his
fellow workers the modest fee that the Workers' Hotline takes for legal
services -- a pile of one-dollar bills and 20-shekel bills. Together with
the money he compiled a list of those taking part in the strike -- a page
with symmetric Chinese letters, covered with delicate black ornaments,
fragile as the workers' present situation.

"When we arrived in Israel, the Chinese company took away our passports,"
Fu She relates. "We tried to complain but the company threatened us that we
would be deported to China, and then we would lose not only our wages but
the deposit as well. For us losing $2,500 is almost like a death sentence.
Many people in China are waiting for this money."

"They brought us to the building site. In each small room they housed four
workers," Lin Huaice relates. "During most of the day we were working on
site and it was very noisy and at night, when we finally wanted to rest, we
couldn't fall asleep because of the din from the highway. Every passing bus
woke us up. It took us nearly a month to learn to sleep with the noise."

A soup of greens and green people

Most of the Chinese workers arrived in Israel without a penny. Not so Ling
Wa , 35, from south Shanghai, who arrived in Israel with a $50 bill in his
pocket. He wanted to invest his money in an Israeli savings account. The
company's representative in Shanghai had told him that two years in an
Israeli bank would make that small bill swell up to the equivalent of one
year's university fee for one's child.

"By the time I had started to find out where and how to invest the money,
there was nothing left in my purse," Ling Wa complains. "We were paid no
wages whatsoever. We barely got pocket money. We used to get 50 shekels per
month and recently, after we started complaining, they raised it to 100
shekels. For this money in China we could buy a lot of food as well as
clothing and books. Here it was hardly enough for a few sweets. We are not
spoilt; we only need food, an occasional evening at the cinema or in a pub
and a few phone calls home to the wife. But the money we received was not
even enough for food; and one also needs to change one's socks and
underclothes."

"If we had been getting enough to eat, we could have used the money for
other needs and would not complain," says Ping, who is holding a tattered
folder in which all the strikers' documents are carefully folded. "But the
food we got was bad, really bad. We were given chicken feet and necks. In
China we had never eaten such things, but here we were hungry, so we ate
everything.

"Once the Chinese company's cooks summoned two workers and sent them to the
market to look for vegetables and fruit that no one else was ready to buy.
They brought the vegetables and fruit to the kitchen and the cooks made a
soup from them. We began to shout, but the Chinese company said that anyone
who complained would lose three days' work, so we shut up. If at least we
would have received money instead of food, we would have been able to
return to China thin but wealthy. Now we are both thin and poor. We have
been exploited all round."

Fu She: "About once a month we would get stomach pains. Sometimes we all
got them at the same time, and sometimes one at a time. Lin Huaice had it
worst --he is very sensitive. We used to call him `Chinchai,' which is a
Chinese bird that heralds the winter. Whenever Lin Huaice started vomiting
we all knew that we would soon be down with a stomach ache."

Ling Wa: "Once we asked the Chinese company to call a doctor. There were 20
sick workers on the site. At first only a few were sick but within a week
it had spread. We had many green people. The doctor arrived only after a
week, and he gave us some medicine. We kept what was left of it and used it
whenever someone had a stomach ache. Sometimes it helped and sometimes it
didn't."

At a certain stage, says Ling Wa, some workers tried to incite the group to
rebel. They said there was no point going on because no one would ever see
any money. But there were always a few optimistic workers who believed that
next month, always next month, they would finally get their wages as
back-pay, so they were afraid to cause a stoppage.

"I think that if we had stopped working, the company would have given us
back our passports and deported us," Ling Wa explains, "but we would never
have seen our money, neither the deposit nor the wages. I think the company
would benefit a lot by having us deported to China. This way it would gain
$350 [per worker] for each month we worked, as well as the $2,500 deposit.
In China it is a fortune."

Question: Why didn't you demand your wages from the [Israeli] contractor?

"We did, but the representative of the Chinese company said we would get
our money later. This way they strung us along for a whole year. At first
they said they would pay us in Israel, but towards the end of the year they
started telling us that we would only be handed the money in full in two
years' time, after our return to China. We asked, what if we would not get
the money? To whom could we complain when we were back in China? To the
Israeli contractor? But the Chinese company said that they also had
representatives in China, and if there were any problems they could be
solved there; but if we were to make any problems here we would lose all of
the money."

Ping: "We worked hard and long. We started early in the morning and knocked
off late in the evening. Each day we stopped work at a different time. One
day we would work for 12 hours, another day 15. Sometimes we worked in the
dark, sometimes in the light; and there were always representatives of the
boss next to us. They kept telling us 'hurry, hurry,' because the
contractor had been promised a bonus if the work was finished quickly. One
of my mates asked the boss if we would also get part of the bonus for
finishing the work ahead of time, but the boss got angry and told him he
was cheeky. So we decided to go on strike. To both work hard and get no pay
is too much."

The director general of the A. Dori, Co. says in reaction to this: "We are
an entrepreneurial firm. So there can be no truth whatsoever in the claim
that we had to follow a timetable dictated by someone else, or that there
was any wish to finish the construction job ahead of schedule in order to
obtain bonuses."

The embassy tries to hush it up

On the morning of Wednesday, March 28, the workers left A. Dori's building
site and went en masse to the offices of the Workers' Hotline. "I came to
work in the morning and suddenly saw the whole street full of Chinese
workers," recalls Hanna Zohar. "There were hundreds of workers there and I
said to myself: so many workers, it is probably something serious. We asked
all of them to come up to the office. They started talking about the hard
work, about their living conditions and the non-payment of wages; and we
were simply horrified. This was no better than slavery. In Tel Aviv, near
us, with us, in our name. I felt ashamed. So what, if there is a bit of a
recession in this country. Because of this one has to lose all semblance of
humanity?"

The workers spent the first day of the strike filling out forms. On the
second day three more Chinese workers arrived from A. Dori's building site
in Netanya. They told us they had been employed as steel fabricators
[fixing armatures for reinforced concrete]. Exactly like their compatriots
in Tel Aviv, they had not been paid.

On the third day the workers stopped coming to the Workers' Hotline
offices. "I was worried about the workers, so I decided to go to the site
myself and meet them there," says Zohar. "As I came down [from the office]
I saw [in the street] a well-dressed man talking with the workers, who
surrounded him and were listening. An English-speaking worker told me that
the man was an official from the Chinese Embassy who was trying to persuade
them to go back to work.

"I went up to him and signaled with my hands to the workers to go up to the
office. The man from the embassy physically tried to block their way to the
office, but later went away. On the following day he came to the office
accompanied by another man from the embassy and officials of the
intermediary Chinese company. He was very nice and told us that perhaps to
us in Israel the conditions under which the workers were employed seem like
slavery. But as far as the Chinese Embassy and government were concerned
the workers were employed strictly according to Chinese laws, so that
everything was right and proper.

"Then, an official of the embassy began threatening the workers: if they
did not get back to the building site and resume work, they would be
deported to China and lose their deposit. I then stood up," Zohar blushes,
"and perhaps I spoke a little rudely but I told the diplomat: 'Dear sir,
perhaps in China it is allowed to employ people in this way, totally
ignoring their needs for medicine and food and not paying them even a
minimum wage. But here in Israel both Chinese and Israeli workers are
employed according to different, more humane laws. In Israel it is not
acceptable for workers to do backbreaking work until dark and then get food
fit for dogs. In Israel third-world norms are not acceptable.'"

Question: Why have the foreign workers waited until now? Why didn't they go
on strike immediately when they found out about being exploited?

"The Chinese workers are disciplined and adaptable, but also intelligent
and quick-witted. They have amazing methods of communication. When
something happens in a Chinese group in Yavniel [in the north of Israel],
all those in Tel Aviv hear about it immediately. They were quick to
discover they were being exploited, and even quicker to find out that they
could get help from the law courts. This happened following the Solel-Boneh
affair." (See below.)

Implied threat against their families in China

During the early days of the strike A. Dori, Co. claimed emphatically that
it had transferred the wages of each worker in full to his bank account.
Furthermore, when the strike went into its second day, the company
officials quickly agreed with the workers that they should all go to the
bank on the following day to withdraw their money. Ten workers who got to
the bank on that day received balance sheets that showed that the accounts
had indeed been opened in February 2000. But for technical reasons the
items listed on the sheets begin only from December 31, 2000, that is,
eight months after the start of employment.

Zohar: "Someone had been playing around with the workers' accounts. In each
item of deposit the name listed was that of a Chinese proxy, not known to
the workers. It may be that of an official of the Chinese manpower company."

Finally under the pressure of the strike the accounts of some of the
workers were credited with the sum of $4,750, which they then withdrew. If
they are right in claiming that they had not been paid for a year, then it
follows that in fact they earned $400 per month. This is more than they had
been promised in China, but less than the minimum wage in Israel.

The 170 Chinese hurried back to the offices of Workers' Hotline, where they
were provided with a lawyer who has since issued 30 claims on their behalf,
and will soon issue claims on behalf of all the others. The claims are
mainly against A. Dori, Co., which according to the workers is responsible,
albeit indirectly, for delaying their wages; as well as against the
Ministry of Labor and Welfare, which failed to supervise the contractor
properly and did not enforce the labor laws.

The revolt of the workers in Israel was not viewed favorably by the
security authorities in China. On April 17 letters were sent by the
authorities to the strikers and to members of their families in China,
saying that upon their return to China the strikers are liable to be jailed
for up to seven years. The letter, signed by the Chinese Public Security
Bureau, the General Prosecutor and the Court in the town in which the
Chinese construction company is located, goes on to say that if the
strikers would denounce other strikers or "atone for their deeds," their
punishment might be commuted.

"Your conduct breaks not only the rules of the construction company to
which you have subscribed, but also the criminal laws and contract laws of
China," the letter says. "According to the labor laws of China, you are not
subject to Israeli law but to Chinese law. Therefore those workers who
disrupt orderly production will be sentenced to long terms of imprisonment
and to loss of their political rights."

In addition the workers were warned that upon their return to China the
Chinese government would prosecute them and deduct from their wages the
cost of the damage caused to the contracting company due to the strike.

The matter of the letter was raised in a meeting held by a representative
of the Chinese Economic Attach? with the workers. The representative
claimed he knew nothing of the letter, but demanded from the workers on
behalf of the Chinese government to obey Chinese laws.

In general, the money earned abroad by Chinese workers is an important
source of income for the Chinese economy. According to data collected by
China's Ministry of Trade and Industry, remittances from Chinese workers
abroad amounted last year to $840 million, which constituted 1.5 per cent
of the country's foreign reserves.

A coalition of human rights organizations in Israel appealed to Prime
Minister Ariel Sharon, Minister of Labor and Welfare Shlomo Benizri and
Foreign Minister Shimon Peres, asking them urgently to obtain from the
Chinese government an official promise not to penalize the Chinese workers
who are striking in Israel. The group even suggested that Israel should
provide political asylum to those who are afraid to return to China.

Zohar: "This slavery is supported by the Chinese government. China sells
manpower in exchange for arms and military equipment from Israel. Therefore
the embassy has a stake in getting them to work nicely and quietly; or
else, they will call the police, of which the Chinese workers are
frightened to death. In 1996 there was a dramatic demonstration at Hayarkon
Street [in Tel Aviv]. Dozens of workers from China, exploited by criminal
Chinese manpower agencies, marched quietly in the direction of the Chinese
Embassy. The demonstration was orderly and [well-] organized but suddenly
the police arrived and subjected them to harsh violence.

"At the time I did not understand who had called the police and why. Now I
know it was the Chinese Embassy. They have a stake in having disciplined
exploited workers who do not disrupt the economic traffic of goods from
Israel in exchange for slaves from China. This week, too, officials of the
embassy came to our office and threatened the workers that if they did not

The legal catch

The catch for the Chinese workers consists not only in [bad] conditions of
employment and wages. Before coming to Israel, the foreign worker is made
by the intermediary company to sign an exclusivity agreement in favor of
the contracting firm. If after arriving in Israel the worker wishes to
leave the job and work for another contractor, who offers better
conditions, he would immediately be regarded as illegal.

"This is the great paradox," says Adi Lakser, a Workers' Hotline employee.
"It pays the foreign workers to be illegal rather than work legally,
because despite the drawbacks of the illegal status and the danger of
deportation, an illegal worker can choose his own living conditions in
Israel. A foreign worker who arrives legally is tied to the conditions and
to the employer who brought him over."

Perhaps for this reason the exclusivity arrangement is being re-examined.
But Workers' Hotline is not waiting for the outcome of the re-examination.
The association's lawyer has submitted to the law court a plea asking the
court to compel the Ministry of the Interior to issue the Chinese workers
with a permit to stay in the country even if they wish to defect from the
contracting firm and go to work for another firm.

At the same time the Ministry of Labor and Welfare has invited the director
of A. Dori, Co. for an investigation regarding the delayed payment of the
Chinese workers' wages. It should be noted that A. Dori, Co. denies any
connection to the delay in payment of wages and insists that it has been
depositing -- every month and in an orderly fashion -- about $800 in each
worker's account. It may be that the Chinese intermediary company, or some
agent on its behalf, has interfered with these accounts.

At any rate, when the strike entered its fifth day the Chinese workers
discovered their lost accounts. Thus, with their money, or at least part of
it, in their pockets, they decided to go return to work. The last remaining
obstacle is removing the threat against the members of their families in China.

"We don't have much choice," says Ping. "If we leave A. Dori and go to work
elsewhere, we would be deported. If we stop working altogether we would
also be deported. If we continue the strike we will lose the money we have
deposited, and all the wages we have received will have to be spent on air
tickets."

Meantime the workers fear that the Chinese company in Israel may attempt to
cause them and their property physical damage. During last week the Chinese
company, using physical force, threats and verbal abuse, took from the
workers a considerable part of their wages, in some cases up to half. "Our
only security these days," the striking workers told the Workers' Hotline,
"is walking around in large groups, so as to make it difficult for the
Chinese officials to harass us."

Lin Huaice no longer trusts anyone. If he could get back the surety money
he deposited in China, he would stop working at once as a hostage for the
company and go back home to Nantu Tse. "Perhaps I will not be able to erect
a golden gravestone for my parents," he says with a wry smile, "but at
least I would be able to give them a decent funeral. After all we have been
through, that's also something."

The Solel Boneh affair

Judging by its timing and similarity, it seems that the Solel Boneh affair
served as a catalyst for the present strike of Chinese workers. The
Solel-Boneh company has recently been convicted, according to its own
admission, of failure to pay the minimum wage to foreign workers. This put
an end to a long and complex legal saga that had lasted for over two years.

At the beginning of 1999, the Worker's Hotline and the Israeli Association
for Civil Rights complained to the Ministry of Labor and Welfare that 400
Chinese workers employed by Solel-Boneh were not being paid wages but had
to subsist on pocket money to the tune of 60 shekel per month. The
complaint went on to say that the workers' monthly wages were being
withheld by the Chinese manpower company. The workers were supposed to
receive their wages upon returning to China after two years' work in Israel.

In March 1999, following the complaint, the Ministry of Labor and Welfare
submitted to the Labor Tribunal in Tel Aviv a writ of indictment against
Solel-Boneh, accusing it of delaying to pay wages as well as offering wages
well below the legal minimum.

On November 19, Judge Hanna Ben-Yosef of the Tel Aviv Labor Tribunal found
Solel-Boneh and the Qingdao company -- a firm supplying Chinese
construction workers to Israeli contractors -- guilty of paying the Chinese
workers employed through them far less than the legal minimum. By an
agreement between the Ministry of Labor and Solel-Boneh, which is
enforceable as a judgment of the Tribunal, fines of 40,000 and 80,000
shekel were imposed on Solel-Boneh and Qingdao respectively. They also had
to bind themselves not to commit similar offences in future.

However, the Ministry of Labor and Welfare made a secret agreement with
Solel-Boneh not to publish the latter's conviction regarding the minimum
wage, although in such matters publication is the only way to enforce the
law. A spokesperson for the Ministry of Labor and Welfare confirmed that
indeed there was a gentlemen's agreement between the Ministry and
Solel-Boneh, and explained that non-publication was part of a plea bargain.

Reactions

*Uri Dori, Director General of A. Dori Co., Ltd.: "A. Dori Co.totally
fulfills its obligations to the workers. It pays their wages in full every
month into their private bank accounts. The wages of the workers are
customary and derived from the minimum wages in Israel. The workers have
received special pay for overtime and working hours according to what is
customary in the construction industry. The workers' claims regarding a
bonus as a condition for finishing the job ahead of time are completely
unfounded.

"The living conditions and accommodation of the workers are the
responsibility of the Chinese company; but in view of the facts disclosed
in the news report, A. Dori, Co. is not ready to ignore the reality and
hardship. We will not agree that workers of firms acting for us be
subjected to humiliating treatment, although the legal responsibility is
theirs.

"We have appointed a team to examine the Chinese company's treatment of
workers in all the projects it carries out for us. If the company fails to
provide human conditions for the workers and refuses to improve them, A.
Dori, Co. will put an end to the Chinese company's activity in this country."

*Zhang Ping, director in the Chinese company Nantong Er Jian-Ji Tuan: "The
workers are lying. The company has kept the money for them. The Chinese
workers do not understand the laws in Israel, therefore the company keeps
their money for them until their return to China.

"Regarding the conditions of employment, the workers are lying. I cannot
say that the food they were given was very good, but it was also not very
bad. We are not talking about a hotel. The workers did not come for a
holiday, they came to work. In any case, all the conditions, including
accommodations, food and wages pass the test of Chinese law."

* Lin Peng, official of the Chinese Embassy in Israel. "The Commercial and
Economic Counselor and the Secretary in charge of labor relations have met
the workers several times. Also, the embassy has urged the company several
times to improve its conduct and take significant steps to improve the
workers' welfare.

"To the best of our knowledge the company has already taken several steps
and obtained good results. The Workers' Hotline is also involved in this
matter and we hope it will initiate actions that will help to resolve
certain problems and contradictions that result from Israeli law.

"Previous publications in the media have implied that an official of the
embassy had threatened the workers that he would call the police if they do
not go back to work. This is absolutely untrue. What we do is try to
persuade the workers to go back to work and try to solve the problem by
legal means that can be used for finding a reasonable solution."

* Nahum Ido, spokesman for the Ministry of Labor and Welfare: "The Ministry
is unable to defend every single worker. We have 80 inspectors who are
doing a marvelous job, but as opposed to the people of the Workers'
Hotline, who get around to people's houses and to the building sites, our
inspectors cannot reach everyone.

"On the day they went on strike, they were contacted by two [of our] teams.
We took down their testimonies, examined documents and invited the director
of the company to an investigation. Already on that occasion we detected
that many things there were not in order. The Chinese company and the
Israeli company have committed themselves to changing and correcting
everything.

"The Ministry of Labor and Welfare has invited an official of the Chinese
embassy and informed him that in Israel this form of employment, of
exploitation and fraud is unacceptable. If at the end of the investigation
it will transpire that the law has been broken, we shall prosecute. We are
also carrying out an extensive investigation regarding the conditions of
employment and if it transpires that the [workers] have been kept in Israel
in sub-standard conditions, the employers and those responsible will be
prosecuted."

* The Ministry of the Interior: "If a [foreign] worker wants to change
employers, the [new] employer must apply for a permit. If the application
is approved, the worker can change firms. The Chinese workers' lawyer has
submitted such an application."