I'm sorry to hear about your horses. You're not kidding about drought.
Drought is a recurring problem for farmers and ranchers on the Great
Plains. I need to qualify my previous response. On the whole,
irrigation is not necessary for successful farming and ranching in the
region. Drought is temporary and scattered, but when it hits, it's
devastating. Either irrigation or emergency funds for drought-stricken
farmers are needed, though, along with a host of well thought
agricultural policies to prevent all kinds of problems, including
losses of family operations, topsoil erosion, rural impoverishment, and
overuse of chemicals.

Andrew Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]