Manitoba did not have a dust bowl because it never suffered the
drought to the same extent as the 'great American dessert'
including Palliser's Triangle in the Canadian prairies.

It is true that this part of Canada was overpopulated relative to the
long term agricultural sustainability of the land under intensive
cultivation.  (It probably should never have been settled for grain
production in the first place.)  The decade of settlement in the
plains area of the prairies (as opposed to the park belt to the north
which did not suffer the drought to the same extent) was one of
high rainfall in the climatic cycle.  Given the technology of the day,
however, larger grain farms were not generally feasible.  Also, the
isolation that would have resulted would have been a tremendous
barrier to settlement and the provision of public services (primarily
schooling and medical personnel and facilities.)

The drought and depression in grain prices did drive many farmers
out of the most arid parts of the Canadian prairies during the
thirties.  But this had nothing to do with the distribution of property
rights.  Indeed, larger farms would have translated into larger
mortgages and a higher rate of farm failure.  This article, at
superficial reading of the abstract, appears to me the kind of
ideological application of new-institutional analysis that has given
the rights approach a bad name.

Is it not more sensible to suggest that lack of rain was responsible
for the dust bowl?

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba