Michael Perelman writes: > Thank you, Rakesh.  I have repeated a similar
theme in almost all of my writings -- but with a little bit different twist.
Low profits suggests heightened competition, which calls for more intensive
investment.  This investment goes unnoticed in the macroeconomic data
because of the manner in which investments is reported.<

Duménil and Lévy argue that a low profit rate encourages capitalists to
respond in a more extreme way to economic shocks. That makes sense to me.

> While gross investment may be higher during a boom, when profits are low
> companies intensively invest in improving their old capital stock.

Most or all of what's described below is "disinvestment," purging the oldest
or most obsolete capital equipment. Unlike net investment, it doesn't create
aggregate demand or help realize profits. It does have a beneficial
supply-side effect for the capitalists. Part of the reason for the partial
recovery of profitability in the United States from the 1980s to the 1990s
was the shake-out of the 1980s, which involved disinvestment: very old steel
mills, for example, were shut down, helping to create the "rust belt." This
set the stage for investment in more up-to-date mini-mills producing
specialty steel and for the shift of the old-fashioned steel industry to
places outside of the U.S.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine