From:                   "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                [PEN-L:27641] RE: inflation
Date sent:              Fri, 5 Jul 2002 16:44:57 -0700

> I wrote:
> >at some point, economists decided on a conventional definition of
> >inflation as referring only to increasing prices of newly-produced goods
> >and services.

Jim,

I have always considered inflation to be a *general* rise in the price
level, rather than a rise in specific prices which feed into the CPI or,
as we used to call it, the COL.  This came to the fore in the early
1970s when 'inflation' (sic) took off.  But at least in the early years
of price increase, it was not *general* but rather the rise in _real_
cost/price of food and, after 1973 and the cartelization of energy, of
oil prices.  After that, it became a distributional issue with the state
intervening to ensure that  (at least in Canada) that the increase in
price of energy resulted in a shift in income from labour to capital
through wage controls, etc.  The monetarists picked this up and
after the mid-1970s used monetary policy to do the same thing.
The point I am trying to make is that the 'inflation' was not a
'general rise in prices' but a rise in specific prices that were not
demand generated but supply (monopoly) generated.  That is not
inflation, at least not in the Keynesian sense.  Surely, the increase
in the cost of HMOs, drugs, education and a lot of the elements
that go in to the CPI are not a measure of "inflation" but rather a
measure of market power using differential price increase to
redistribute income to the powerful.  Does this not give a very
different meaning to CPI as a measure of market power and not of
'inflation', at least as is meant from a Keynesian (or radical)
perspective?

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba