--- Christian Gregory
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Finally, think about how so many of these
> concepts are culturally determined. If
> 'unemployment' in the US were
> determined the
> way it is in Japan, the figure would jump about
> 1%
> with one calculation.
>
> I'm not sure I follow the argument that, b/c
> Japanese statisticians define
> employment differently, that is due to cultural
> difference. That seems more
> like an institutional choice.
>
> Also, do you know what the Japanese count that
> the US doesn't? In the US, if
> you count marginally attached and discouraged
> workers, the rate is 6.4%. But
> no one seems shocked and that is publicly
> available.
>
> Christian

It's a good point. In this case I stated it
sloppily and really meant 'specific to a
country', and implying that these differences
might actually be quite arbitrary (a lot of what
the BLS does in the US just seems to go back to
traditions started under FDR).

However, attitudes about unemployment do differ
and they might follow cultural patterns (though
every time I try to find one I'm hanged for sure
that there is nothing sure). One possibility is
that people avoid being counted officially as
unemployed because they are too ashamed to admit
it. I mean, if you can't qualify for
'unemployment compensation payments' (and to get
these the requirements are quite strict in the
US), then you might not have any reason
whatsoever to go into an 'employment security
office' in the first place and find the whole
bureaucratic rigamarole a pain. Consider, you
only have ten offices for the whole of Chicago
and might be inclined to say, Oh, f- that sh-,
I'm out of here. The employment security offices
do not take in the entire population. In Japan,
many middle aged men just retire early rather
than accept part-time jobs or admit they are
unemployed. But I am not saying these are
culturally specific.

As for what the Japanese count and the US
doesn't, the Japanese site explains in detail how
Japan differs from ILO and OECD patterns and that
was in the links I sent earlier. I do know if
Japan had male incarceration like the US, it
would have 1 million men in jail and 500,000 in
direct court supervision , but it doesn't even
have 50,000 men in jail. And it's armed forces
would be 5 times the size they are to match the
US. On the other hand, I also know that Japanese
cultural practice still keeps a lot of working
age women out of the full time job market, though
this is changing and will have to change further
with the 'greying' of society. This is a complex
trend, because it is in part due to the fact that
so many women now work that so many are delaying
having children or not having children at all.
Finally, I think the Japanese unemployment count
is too low too.

C Jannuzi