I checked one item in this post against the text (which is
here:  http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/articles/7706-distortions.html

"The "slaughter" by the Khmer Rouge is a Moss-New York Times creation."

The context for the statement is not, as is implied by the
extract above, a general denial of mass murder, but a specific
claim which NC claims is not adequately documented.  Most of
the article is in a similar vein -- noting the lack of evidence
presented in news accounts.  SD does nothing to rebut his
argument.  Noting that genocide took place is not a rebuttal.

NC's conclusion, along similar lines:

"We do not pretend to know where the truth lies amidst these sharply
conflicting assessments; rather, we again want to emphasize some crucial
points. What filters through to the American public is a seriously distorted
version of the evidence available, emphasizing alleged Khmer Rouge
atrocities and downplaying or ignoring the crucial U.S. role, direct and
indirect, in the torment that Cambodia has suffered. Evidence that focuses
on the American role, like the Hildebrand and Porter volume, is ignored, not
on the basis of truthfulness or scholarship but because the message is
unpalatable."

My conclusion:

One should not judge the morality of NC's statements at the time by
how well they accord with what is known retrospectively, in light of
the reality that the sources on genocide were not trustworthy.
Untrustworthy sources can be right on occasion, but it is not
smart to depend on them.  You would have to show the availability
of a fount of information from unbiased sources to conclude that NC
ignored evidence he ought not to have ignored.

SD's post is unfair.

mbs