David writes:

>I don't have a strong opinion on whether regulation should be
>done by legislation or litigation -- it seems like a
>peripheral issue.

I think that is a HUGE issue, not peripheral. But that's for another
thread and another day.

>[...] "safety" is not an absolute value that takes
>precedence overy everything else.  That is evidenced
>by how people actually live their lives, and that
>fact must be taken into consideration when determining
>appropriate rules.

This is the heart of it.

To use your own words: "how people actually live their lives."

The reason most of the people are on this list is that most of the
people (who are not on this list) do not have control of the way they
"actually live their lives." Their lives are determined by economic
forces that are really more akin to weather. (Not controllable by
themselves. "I can only buy a Pinto, not a Lexus." You call that "free
will" I call it economic coercion.)

Ken.

--
I’ve been trying to show you over and over
Look at these, my child-bearing hips