"Unrealizable" in the present circumstances, for sure, Carrol, so long as
the US thinks it stll has a chance of building an effective puppet army to
help it crush the resistance, and knows that an invitation to have the UN
come in would be interpreted worldwide as a serious defeat. But if things
continue to deteriorate and US casualties rise, it's not inconceivable that
the US would quietly admit defeat and publicly support a UN "interim
peacekeeping force" to enable it to withdraw its forces, while trying to
save face by claiming victory at the same time. More likely in this
situation, though, it would simply help cobble together a broad "national
unity" government incorporating the dissident Islamist and nationalist
resistance forces, and accept the new goverment's request that it withdraw,
without any need for UN troops, which would only draw further attention to
the US humiliation. The anti-occupation forces would enter the government on
condition of a US withdrawal and in the confidence they would quickly come
to dominate the state after elections. Both the resistance forces and the
Americans, each in their own way, know this stage hasn't yet been reached.
It doesn't matter, IMO, whether Kerry or Bush is in the White House to
preside over this withdrawal if it comes to that. But I do think Kerry, if
he wins, will probably be more inclined to move faster because he'll think
his election will have given him that mandate. All this is predicated, of
course, on the US being unable to crush the resistance, and fairly quickly,
which is by no means a settled matter.

I wouldn't presume to involve myself in your internal antiwar movement
debate, of which I know very little. Whether the demand for UN troops is a
politically more acceptable way of calling for US withdrawal -- or whether
it is a unrealistic perspective which obscures and weakens the effort to
bring the troops home now -- is something for you to hash out. I know a UN
force was never a serious option for Vietnam, though you probably recall
that some - I think SANE and others -- called for it at the time. Ultimately
it will be for the anti-occupation Iraqis to decide what form a US retreat
should take, and for us to respect their choice.

Marv Gandall