Actually I think methodological individualism is
employed as an axiom underpinning free-market
ideology. As such it will be claimed as self-evident
even though
to anyone not already conditioned to accept the axiom
this seems blatantly ridiculous. The claim of trivial
truth is in effect a blocking mechanism. Someone who
questions the axiom must have a screw loose. Or in a
more theological metaphor, ought to be shunned by the
orthodox economic congregation.

Cheers, Ken Hanly