Ken Hanley wrote:

I know there are problems about measuring cost and
benefits biases in measurement etc.  but my problem is
conceptual.

As I understand it modern economics does not assume
that interpersonal comparisons of utility are possible
just ordinal rankings of individual preferences.

If this is so how does one make the transition to
measurement of cost and benefits in monetary terms
that is the typical mode of analysis in applied cost
benefit analysis? Doesn't the measurement in monetary
units assume there is some interpersonal utility that
is measurable in these units?

Ken, the founding work on Cost was written by John Maurice Clark in
1923: "Studies in the Economics of Overhead Costs."  Later in his
life, Clark summarized: "Cost of some sort is supposed to set a
minimum below which sales will not be made.  _But cost is not a
precise, unambiguous objective fact; it is rather a convention
allowing considerable latitude_."  The accountants figure out costs
-- after the fact.  Cost-Benefit analysis rests on a number of shaky
assumptions; never fully revealed to the reader.

Larry Shute
Economics Department
Calif. State Polytechnic University, Pomona