Of course cost benefit analysis can be done and is
all the time. My problem was to try and understand how
prices can be used without assuming that utility can
be measured in interpersonal units. It is a conceptual
problem.
  Certainly it would not be a good idea to use
cost-benefit analysis in deciding where to
dump radioactive waste, or dump other pollutants, or
in many other areas such as health care. Actual
cost-benefit analysis is often a technique that
advances class
interests masquerading as some sort of objective
technical analysis
   I think politicians measure in terms of votes lost
or gained and favors owed among other factors
 and then decide upon the project that will best
advance their interests. Then
they pay a person to do cost benefit analysis to
support what theyhad already concluded.This must be
made clear to the analyst or they could use the wrong
prices and discount incorrectly creating embarassment
for the politician and lack of further work for the
analyst.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

Blog:  http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html
Blog:  http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html