I don't know.

Gene

On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Sandwichman wrote:

On 2/18/08, Eugene Coyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
       Having acknowledged that, I would add that actual agricultural
commodity costs are not the most important component of what we call
"food" prices at the supermarket.

Two points, though. One is that the demand for the basic food
commodities is going to be relatively inelastic compared to that for
those other components of supermarket prices. The second has to do
with the volatility of prices and the lead time required for supply to
respond to changes in price. Normally, the credit system and futures
market would have an important role to play in managing the financial
risks associated with such rapid increases in prices. How insulated
are the credit markets for agricultural commodities from the credit
crunch and sub-prime mortgage crisis? What inroads has securitization
made into ag. commodity derivatives markets? Is there water sloshing
around in this bathtub?

--
Sandwichman