Hi,

> So, which Pentax body do you feel is the toughest ... the one you'd take
> through the rain and the mud and the Atacama desert, and toss into the
> back of your rattling old pickup and not worry about it getting the crap
> knocked out of it?

I bought my first LX after my first trip to Ethiopia. I had taken a
couple of MXs, including my original which I had bought from new
nearly 20 years before. The 2nd MX kept jamming* so I decided I needed
something more reliable, and replaced it with an LX.

So when I went on a trip from Ethiopia to South Africa I took the original
MX, the LX and a Super A (Super Program?) I'd acquired somewhere along the
way. This taught me not to mix bodies, and that I didn't like the Super A.

However, the Super A was very reliable except for the motor drive, which
ate batteries at such a phenomonal rate that I stopped using it.

The LX developed sticky mirror.

The MX went right on working all the time. The only problem I've ever had
with that particular MX was the well-known one of the shutter release
switching on the meter and draining the battery.

Despite the sticky mirror problem I decided I liked the LX, so I sold
the Super A and bought 2 more LXs. Although I never got to take them
all to Africa I did take them to places like Russia in winter, and
used them in all sort of other conditions. I developed a lot of
confidence in them and their toughness. I covered some very violent
events where the cameras took some major abuse, and they were fine.
One of them was kicked along a gutter by a crowd on a cold, wet
winter's day, but kept on working fine.

The other way in which the LX scores over the others is its amazing
versatility. On my 2nd trip to Africa I was shooting things which
ranged from a wedding in Cape Town, to wildlife in Ethiopia, and
seaweed farming in Zanzibar. For the wildlife it was essential to have
long lenses. The interchangeable heads and screens of the LX were a
huge advantage here - they made the photography so much easier and
more comfortable.

*perhaps it was a rasta camera and was just happy to be in Ethiopia <g>

--
Cheers,
 Bob