I have noticed that mine seems to expose differently depending on aperture -
from a distance of about ten feet, I used the FA* 24 f/2 and shot at a painting
in my bedroom.  The smaller apertures showed a marked difference in exposure as
compared to the bigger ones.  This is using the AF500FTZ.

I rarely use flash, so I did not follow up on this much, except to form the
impression that the firmware is probably defective.  I did send a
comment/complaint to Pentax Cnaada, with so far zero response.