With a recent purchase of *istD and an arsenal of other Pentax gear I thought I could conquer the world.

HOWEVER I found it quite disappointing that the *istD produces far from acceptable results when combined with AF-500FTZ ( I won't even mention that Sigma EF-430ST) goes totally belly-up).

Even when the flash gets switched to MANUAL, it still behaves somewhat like auto. I found it almost impossible to get a good fill-in compensation.

The built in flash produces better results, however it is not very impressive either. Especially in fill-in where background is quite bright.

Here are my questions for the Pentax Brotherhood:

* is it the nature of digital cameras that they do not work well with flashes (probably not)
* does anyone have any experience using *ist and 500FTZ?
* is the 'new kid on the block' AF-360FGZ producing acceptable results combined with *istD
* what are the best modes to use flash in?

Just to let you know I have used Z-1, Z-1p, and MZ, ZX camers for a number of years, consuming tens of rolls of film a month. Apart from the 1/100s flash synch limitations the results were quite satisfactory. Z-1, Z-1p - no problems.

With *istD I am not trying to be pedantic to get it within 0.001EV of a perfect value. I am trying to get it 'somewhere'. Being able to shoot consistently and reliably. At present I cannot achieve it!

Can anyone offer any help?

---- (*)o(*) ---- [EMAIL PROTECTED]