* Jonas Liljegren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-17T19:50:52]
> The MD::BounceParser seemed to bee a bit disorganized and had seems to
> have the assumption that you only would want to use it for finding out
> email-addresses to remove from send-lists.

That is definitely the reason it was made.  It was also written ages ago, and
it's difficult to extend to add things like, "reason = they think it's spam."

> Depending of what you want to do, you will treat these cases differently.
> A hard bounce is a response that the mailbox no longer exist. A soft
> bounce is a mailbox over quota or some other thing that may not be a
> permanent condition, but could be. A transient bounce is just a status
> report and not a failure. But I still want to catch those transient
> error messages. They should certainly not go into the request queue, but
> they should still be parsed and used to update the status of the
> original email and receiving user. This can be done then there is a
> custom built web interface for the email handling.

"Hard" and "soft" are definitely well-established terms for describing bounces.
I think that "transient bounce" is a weird choice, though.  It's not a bounce,
and if it was, a transient bounce would sound, to me, like a soft bounce.  It's
just a DSN that isn't a bounce reporting DSN.

I agree, of course, that understanding these is a good idea.

> I have set up Email::Classifier. I just took all the code of
> MD::BounceParser and converted it.  It uses modules that loads on
> demand. Most of the code ended up in the Email::Classifier::Bounce
> module, that still needs a lot of cleaning up.

I look forward to having a look at it!  I will try to do so today or tomorrow,
as time permits.  Thanks very much!

--
rjbs