On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Paul Fenwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As the user of a module, it's possible for me to pass in tainted data.  The
> module doesn't know from where it's been sourced.  However, unless the
> *intent* of the module is to untaint this data, anything derived from that
> data should probably remain tainted.  Likewise, unless it's the purpose of
> the module is untaint incoming data, anything the module reads from an
> external source should probably also remain tainted.

I think I disagree with this. (Though perhaps could be argued out of
it.)  It seems to me that data should be validated at the time it is
collected and untainted once validated.  I don't see why some
subroutine N levels down the call stack in some utility module should
be expected to preserve taint on data you didn't check when you
received it.

-- David