On 2012.4.11 7:35 AM, Andy Lester wrote:
> So is there ANY legit use for use_ok()?

Yes.  Sometimes you want to conditionally test if a module can be loaded and
its import does not blow up.

It's a convenience function so it can be more easily understood what's going
on and we don't each write it a million different ways.  require_ok() solves a
big chunk of the problem.

    if( something something ) {
        use_ok 'Foo';

#       Here's one long hand way...
#       require_ok 'Foo';
#       ok eval { Foo->import; 1; } or diag $@;

#       or maybe this, hope you remember that 1;
#       eval 'use Foo; 1;' or diag $@;
    }

Similar to how like() is basically a convenience for...

    my $regex = qr/bar/;
    ok $foo =~ $regex or diag "$foo does not match $regex";

If it didn't already exist, it could probably be argued that it's not needed.
 But it's there and can be left alone.

--
87. If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15
    seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.