----- Original Message -----
From: "Marracci, Peter E"

> The Badtrans.B variant is executed when a user opens an infected
> e-mail, and does not require a user to click on an attachment

Yes - this is where a major part of the problem lies. How does one configure
the system so that attachments will not open *unless* clicked on ? Afaik my
configuration will not allow attachments to open until they are clicked  -
yet this is obviously not the case, as they did open ( or, at least, opened
an IE download box ) but they were at no stage 'clicked on'.

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security
> /bulletin/MS01-027.asp>

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
> bulletin/MS01-027.asp.
>
> The complete article is at  ITworld.com  dated 11/26/01 by Sam Costello,
IDG
> News Service, Boston Bureau

I'll follow those links - they hopefully answer the question I raised above.

What sort of kindergarten genius devises a system that needs a patch for
something that should be easily handled by user configuration ? Which brings
me back to one of the questions I raised in my original post - ie can this
problem of attachments opening spontaneously (in Outlook Express) be solved
with configuration only ? (Or is the patch a necessity ? )

If attachments are going to open spontaneously, then you're really depending
upon your virus checking system, and if its definitions are not up to date,
then things start to get interesting. No matter how good the virus checker
is, I'd feel much happier knowing that attachments could not open
spontaneously in Outlook Express.

Anyway, before I get too carried away, I suppose I should follow those
links.

Thanks Pete, and thanks also to the others who have provided advice.

Cheers,
Rob