[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Are you trying to open a file or a directory? If a directory, you
>will need
>a trailing slash. If a file, you will almost certainly need to
>specify a
>file extension. What is your E drive, attached or networked? If
>networked,
>have you tried the UNC name?

Its a file, on a CDRW.  Networked files on the same machine
work fine.  The same files on the same CD, using the same program,
same path work fine.  Its only when I try to open a file (any file)
on this one particular drive on this one particular machine, and only
from perl, that I have a problem.  I can access the same file, on the
same machine by typing "type E:\BU_0\C\Prefs" at the DOS prompt.  I
can also open any clickable file by double-clicking or using the
Windows Open dialog from an appropriate app.

The E: drive is a CDRW, using UDF software.  Know of any peculiarities
which can arise with UDF?

Bill B.