When I wrote Data::Pairs (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Pairs/), I had
JSONified MARC in mind.  To my mind, a data structure that is a "Pairs
of Pairs"[2] would faithfully represent a MARC record, including preserving
the orders of fields/subfields.

Below is the short example from [1] displayed as a Pairs of Pairs in
JSON.  In Data::Pairs, I wanted to see what the algorithms might be
for setting and getting data from such a structure, with the intention
that those algorithms might be the basis for a similar JSON library.

So my real world situation isn't that I've used any MARC in JSON to
date, but I did begin writing code with that intention.  :-)

Appearing after the JSON example below is the same data displayed
as YAML.  By taking the Pairs of Pairs approach, I had envisioned that
presenting the YAML version to a human might facilitate manual edits.

I guess I'm late in the game suggesting another proposal, but there it
is.  Writing a schema for this might be tricky, but as a data structure
it's fairly simple and self-consistent.

Regards,

Brad

[1] http://robotlibrarian.billdueber.com/new-interest-in-marc-hash-json/
[2] http://yaml.org/type/pairs.html

JSON:

[
{ "leader" : "leader string" },
{ "001" : "001 value" },
{ "002" : "002 value" },
{ "010" :
    [
    { "ind1": " " },
    { "ind2": " " },
    { "a"   : "68009499" }
    ]
}
{ "035" :
    [
    { "ind1": " " },
    { "ind2": " " },
    { "a"   : "(RLIN)MIUG0000733-B" },
    ]
}
{ "035" :
    [
    { "ind1": " " },
    { "ind2": " " },
    { "a"   : "(CaOTULAS)159818014" },
    ]
}
{ "245" :
    [
    { "ind1": "1" },
    { "ind2": "0" },
    { "a"   : "Capitalism, primitive and modern;" },
    { "b"   : "some aspects of Tolai economic growth" },
    { "c"   : "[by] T. Scarlett Epstein." }
    ]
}
]