From: Reese, Terry [mailto:terry.re...@oregonstate.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:03 PM
To: perl4lib@perl.org
Subject: MARC::Record / MARC::File::XML bug when fields contain
newlines?

I wanted to follow up on this message (saw it through the digest).  New
lines actually are invalid characters in a USMARC record.  There are a
number of characters that are not allowed, and these happen to be two of
them.  Essentially, MARC fields cannot be multi-line.  This is why
MarcEdit's MARCengine automatically will sanitize this data away during
the breaking process and why records in the mnemonic format cannot be
multi-lined.

--TR