> >         s/x/5/; # this is still going to replace
        > >                 # all the eckses in $_ with fives.

        > Why? This is an arbitrary decision if you've declared variables to
be
        > barewords.

I think it's a sane decision -- IMHO barewords shouldn't be allowed to
interpolate.  Of course, this means that to use the value of a bareword
variable in a regex, you'd have to do something like:

        int x = 3 ;

        ...  # Do stuff with x, or not.

        my int $y = x ;

        s/$y/5/ ;

Which seems like a roundabout way to do it.

I still find this whole idea confusing, though.  Just out of curiosity,
though, would:

        #include a way for users to bail out gracefully

be a syntax error?  And how about:

        int length = 256 ;

and, if that's legal, what does:

        print "I wonder what this is : " . length  ;

do?

Dirk