>I doubt anyone's arguing that they're not function calls. What I find
>"surprising" is that Perl doesn't DWIM here. It doesn't encourage data
>encapsulation or try to make it easy:

>   my $weather = new Schwern::Example;
>   print "Today's weather will be $weather->{temp} degrees and sunny.";
>   print "And tomorrow we'll be expecting ", $weather->forecast;

You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the
implementation and then relied upon it.

>If method calls interpolated, this would be easier. Instead, it
>encourages you to provide direct hash access to your data since it's
>much easier to use that way.

>I find myself wanting to say:

>   print "Thanks, $cgi->param('name') for your order!";
>   print "It matched" if /$config->get_expression/;

Oh joy: now Perl has nested quotes.  I *hate* nested quotes.
They're terrible.  See the shell for how icky this is.

>Rather than:

>   print "Thanks, " . $cgi->param('name') . " for your order";

What's the big deal?  How does it hurt you to do that?  And why
are you catting it instead of simply passing a list?

--tom