Tom Christiansen wrote:

> You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the
> implementation and then relied upon it.

I agree completely. So Perl should make it easier to deal with class
methods.

> >I find myself wanting to say:
>
> >   print "Thanks, $cgi->param('name') for your order!";
> >   print "It matched" if /$config->get_expression/;
>
> Oh joy: now Perl has nested quotes.  I *hate* nested quotes.
> They're terrible.  See the shell for how icky this is.

So what about

   print "Thanks, $user->{'first name'} for your order!";

Which needs nested quotes already?

> >   print "Thanks, " . $cgi->param('name') . " for your order";
>
> What's the big deal?  How does it hurt you to do that?

It hurts me to do this when there's even a little bit of data, since it
ends up spanning lines really quickly. And it's harder to read and
figure out how everything lines up. Honestly, which is easier to read
and code?

print "Thanks, ", $q->param('name'), " for your order of ",
$q->param('amt'), "\n";

print "Thanks, $q->param('name') for your order of $q->param('amt')\n";

Plus, I notice you ignored my regex example...

-Nate

P.S. I wrote both the above functions on one line, and let my mailer
wrap them @ std 72 cols, so any wrapping is not artificially induced by
myself in some odd attempt to prove a point.