Dave> When you want to install a new version, you simply prepend it
Dave> with its version number (or insert it at appropriate place).

Dave> The order is, of course, irrelevant...you can order it as 1.3,
Dave> 2.0, 1.0 if you want, but then 1.3 would be loaded by default
Dave> and you would need to explicitly request other versions.

Dave> I'm sure this idea can be improved on, but it's a first cut.
Dave> What do people think?

You want this to work with multiple module versions side by side.  We
have a disk namespace where we put every module version in its own
directory, and the user can choose which version is required by
specifying 'use lib'.  When a new version comes out, we install it
without touching the existing files - which makes backing out an
upgrade very easy.

If multiple versions of a module could co-exist in the same program,
e.g. by extending the namespace by the module version number, that
would solve some issues in e.g. mod_perl, or in Storable release x ->
x+1 migration scripts.

Hildo