On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 04:32, Ariel Scolnicov wrote:
> Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> >     /pat/x          /pat/
>
> How do I do a "no /x"?  I know that commented /x'ed regexps are easier
> reading (I even write them myself, I swear I do!), but having to
> escape whitespace is often very annoying.  Will I really have to
> escape all spaces (or use <sp>, below)?

I'm not sure that that's a bad thing. Regular expressions are the
hairiest, ugliest thing in Perl. If they change in this way, I see them
getting a tad more verbose, and a whole lot more readable and
maintainable. Besides you can always do this:

    $str = "COPYING file for more information";
    /$str/

since scalars will be interpolated as quoted by default.