At 10:04 AM -0400 5/15/02, Aaron Sherman wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 21:42, Damian Conway wrote:
>
>>  > Wouldn't those be the same?
>>
>>  Not quite. C<$.bar> is a direct access to the attribute. C<.bar> is a call
>>  to the accessor. There might well be performance issues.
>
>I would expect that there won't be, but perhaps I'm optimistically
>over-hyping Perl6's inlining before it exists.

Languages like perl can't easily be inlined, since subs may be
redefined at any time. If a sub's a leaf sub you can detect changes
before calling safely, but if it's not a leaf sub you run into the
potential issue of having the sub potentially redefined while you're
in it.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk