On 5/21/02 9:56 AM, "Aaron Sherman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> claimed:

> I guess the run-time checks will be required, and inlining of small
> chunks of code will never really be all that useful (as you cannot rip
> open that scope and optimize the whole context).

I think that a number of these issues of inlining methods were considered by
p5p about two years ago, when Doub MacEachern submitted a patch that
optimized Perl 5 method calls. Simon wrote about it here:

  http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/2000/06/dougpatch.html

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]