Let me summerize my undestanding of this (if my bozo bit isn't already
irrevocably set):

* %hash<<foo>> retains the features of P5 $hash{foo} but does nothing to counter the
damage of removal of barewords

* %hash`foo occupies an important nitch, trading features (slice, autovivication)
to optmize for the common case, undoing the pain of the loss of barewords,
serving as even a superior alternative

* %hash`foo and %hash ~ `ls` can coexist without breaking anything as this is currently
illegal, unused syntax

* %hash`foo can be added by the user, but users are seldom aware of even a small
fraction
of the things on CPAN and there is a sitgma against writing non-standard code

* %hash`s is an example of a small thing that would be easy to implement in core
but would be used constantly (if JavaScript is any indication, every few lines),
giving a lot of bang for the buck

* Rather than eliciting public comment on %hash`foo (and indeed %hash<<foo>>)
the proposal is being rejected out of hand (incidentally, the mantra of the Java
community Process seems to be "you don't need X, you've got Y", and it took
.Net before they woke up and realized that maybe they should consider their
community in the community process - after ignoring a universal call for
generics for over 5 years it's little wonder .Net ate their cake)

-scott