In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Smylers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Juerd Waalboer writes:
>
> > Smylers skribis 2007-06-21 21:33 (+0100):
> >
> > > I disagree.  perldoc.perl.org was started by JJ, gained popularity,
> > > and then got awarded the official blessing of the onion.  Over the
> > > years there have many several sites with Perl documenation.
> >
> > That's not a way of documenting things, it's "just" an interface to
> > existing documentation.
>
> There's no reason why it has to be.  There are no barriers to anybody
> unofficially adding extra semantic information to the documentation and
> making it available on a website.

The biggest barrier is that any work one does outside of the
documentation source is likely to be wasted when new versions of the
module comes out. Consider the Phalanx project for instance: they got a
lot of people working to improve a lot of modules, and almost none of
that work actually made it into the modules.

The next biggest barrier is the size of the job. Who's going to go
through all that documentation on CPAN and tag everything? I wouldn't
even want to do it on all of my modules.

There isn't a technical problem, but there is a huge social and
pragmatic problem. It would be very nice if the documentation had a
natural way to do this without extra-documentation clues from third
parties.