HaloO,

John M. Dlugosz wrote:
I have similar thoughts. I'm thinking that some macros will aid in writing proper setters via a tie-like mechanism that don't require any core language changes, so it's not a real problem. That is, a reusable proxy class that you can construct to run the setter body code, and package it up so you write it like a method.

If I get you write, you want some magic to convert

  $obj.attr = 42;

into

  $obj.attr(42);

so that one can write the attr method as if it had a single
parameter without actually doing so. E.g.

  class Blah
  {
     method attr is setter
     {
         self.blahh = rhs; # rhs gives 42 above
     }
     # magically same as
     # method attr ($rhs)
     # {
     #    self.blahh = $rhs;
     # }
  }

I wonder if that couldn't simply be

     method attr is rw
     {
        return self.blahh;
     }

Or am I missing something?

Regards, TSa.
--

"The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity" -- C.A.R. Hoare
"Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- A.J. Perlis